Monday, October 16, 2006

 

I've been around, nudge nudge, been around

So where have I been?

Well, over the past several weeks, IWA has decided to perform every Friday instead of every other Friday. Which means an extra 2 hours of rehearsal each week. However, they did this without consulting Sketch 22, which means I've been playing something of a middle man between the two, attempting to keep tempers down. This proved exponentially harder when Mission: Improvable asked IWA to do a joint show with them, completely ignoring Sketch again. And the director of Sketch is (or at least seems to be) ok with being the odd man out. Although Sketch has a bigger following than any group.

This has upset some people, but others don't care, so SVP is going through something of a Crisis (as only the DC Universe could). Plus, with a Sketch show a week from Friday, rehearsals have intesified. I'll likely be missing one to come to Homecoming however.

Ah yes! Homecoming! The perilous financial aspect seems to have worked out, so I should be there. At this time, let's assume yes. I'll be getting there early evening Friday, and I'll definitely be at Mad Cow's show. My good friend (well, fairly good friend) Danielle, a freshman, just got into the group, so I want to be on hand for her first performance.

Mad Cow is also being considered to attend and perform at SVP's Comedy Jam in April 07. It's a huge event with improv and sketch from NYC and Chicago and LA who come and perform with the groups here. It's pretty amazing. Too bad I didn't know about it while we were still in the group. The other amazing thing is that the performers who come (many of them alumni from Umass) from Chicago and LA will teach workshops with us.

Which is another point for the ex-cows here. I was considering offering such a workshop to the current Mad Cow group. A lot of people here encouraged me to do so, since they've had a lot of experience with former members coming back and leading a mini-rehearsal. Figure it'd give us all (if you wanted to, anyway) a chance to get together and play around again. Not too conceited to offer, is it? I haven't done so yet, because I didn't want to do so until I was sure I'd be at Homecoming, but I also wanted to run it by you guys too.

Besides performing, I've been doing some research into Egypt this semester. What a messed up place. Not politically or economically, but popularly. I have a class about Egypt with undergrads, and at least 4 of them assume that because they've seen every PBS special about it, they are experts. And the prof is entirely too concessionary towards them, and lets them rant for a while. I wish I could illustrate my point, but I can't think of any simple example.

(Random interjection: There was just a Borat commercial on. Anyone going to see that movie?)

Heroes has become a smash hit in our house. I know I've mentioned it before, but it's really a very entertaining show. If you like Lost, and you like superheroes, you'll like it. At least, I think you will. I do.

I cannot think of anything else to say at this time, but I'll try to do a lot better about posting. My schedule is very strange, but hopefully it'll ease up soon. Cannot wait to see you all.

Comments:
mark if you go to egypt i will meet you there... i wanna go live there for a lil bit and be an english tour guide for one of the many... many historical sites.

That means i will have to study up... can you reccomend any PBS specials?
 
Egypt is really incredible, but probably not nearly as hospitable as Japan. I can't think of any good PBS specials off the top of my head, but I can send any questions to my dad if you're actually looking at staying there for a bit.

Good to know you'll be at homecoming, Mark.
 
Thanks, Chris. It looks like it'll be happening at 4, during M.C.'s rehearsal time, if any of y'all want to check it out and play.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?