Monday, May 08, 2006

 

meet the parents.

I know it has been ages since any of you have heard from me, so I thought I would shock you all and post a little something. I've had a crazy depressing winter so I think I'll just tell you a funny story.
I've been dating this guy that I work with for about a month and things are getting to be pretty serious so I decided to take him home to meet my parents. My dad is normally a really quiet guy who doesn't really engage or initiate any conversation, but lately has been exhibiting characteristics of a midlife crisis. My mom is usually the one I have to worry about; telling embarassing stories, or asking a lot of uncomfortable questions.
So Ryan and I decided to go to the Inner harbor in Baltimore first and then stop by my parents house for dinner. When we got to my house everything was going really well until my dad disappeared and came downstairs carrying about an 8 foot long green horn. I had never seen anything like it in my life. My dad told Ryan that it's called a "diggery doo" (look it up it really exists) and it was played by aboriginal people in Australia. Then my dad demonstrated how to play it (which I'm pretty sure he was doing wrong) and it made this awful noise which terrified the dog, myself and Ryan.
Now my dad is a little strange I must admit, but this was really out of character for him, and very embarassing for me! I'm not sure, but I think it was some sort of test to see how Ryan would react. Luckily he took it all really well, and now he gives me a hard time about.
So tell me I'm not alone and share an embarrassing story about bringing your significant other home to meet the rents.

Comments:
Yo Fatty!!!! I miss you!!!!
I have a semi story here the first time my girlfriend met my parents wasn't too bad, but the first time she met my Aunt and Uncle she wasn't wearing a shirt, this was because she had just had a rugby game and had cracked her ribs so she couldnt put a shirt on. The last time my gf saw my parents my mom was telling stories of me when I was little and how I always dressed up in dorky outfits and then pretended to smoke my Mr. Potatoe head pipe while carrying around a briefcase full of cassettes. I was such a dorky kid
 
Awesome pipe choice, Struls.

I don't think my parents embarassed me in front of Laurie so much as the behaviors I learned from my dad proved embarassing.
Like the dusty old favorite of when the waiter at a restuarant would bring the check, and my dad would slowly turn it over and make this godawful face like the couldn't afford it and was about to run. The first time I did that to Laurie, she headbutted me in the nuts.
 
headbutted in the nuts?.....sounds sexy
 
I freaking love the diggery do! I only wish my parents were that cool to take someone home to...
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?