Saturday, April 01, 2006

 

All In a Spring Day

So this week showed the first signs of spring down here in Virginia with the sun shining and it hit about 75 degrees on Thursday and Friday. I broke out the capris (which are like regular pants on a short person like me) and sandals. I had such spring fever for the past 3 weeks, as every morning no matter how cold it was out and how much I would freeze I refused to wear a sweater or a heavy winter coat. It got to the point where I just wanted to throw my socks and shoes out the window and run barefoot to work. (No, not really because it's about 7 miles to get to work and my feet would hurt by the time I got there).

Anyways, back to my story on one particular spring day. Since we have finally hit a point at the expo center when we don't have an event every waking minute in the building, we actually have breathing room for the next couple of weeks. I work in an office of 9 people. With the ratio of men to women being 2:1. So all the guys decided to take the full day on Thursday to go out and enjoy the beautiful warm, sunny day by doing only what men do best while "working" outdoors - they went golfing and left the lone 3 women in the office to hold down the fort. Well, let me tell you I didn't mind it so much and got tons of work done because it was so quiet. But then my two co-workers went out to lunch to enjoy the weather and shop leaving me in the building. Still I didn't mind. But half way through the day as I sat in my windowless office (yes, I'm not important enough for a window just yet) a short story I read in junior high came back to me.

If you never read "All in a Summer Day" by Ray Bradbury, I reccommend it. (Just in case you have time I found it online - it's a short story so even Strulson can ignore his ADD to read it). Anyways, I slowly started to feel like Margot - stuck inside and not able to see the sunshine while everyone else was out enjoying it - it was such a strange feeling.

But you know what - in the end when they let me out of my windowless office I had a ton of work completed and my boss gave me a day at the spa next week. So now I will be able to run to work barefoot with perfectly pedicured toes.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?